The Mets are 15-11 and if anyone saw this coming after the 0-3 start vs. the Nationals please raise your hand. Take away that series and the Mets are 15-8 in their last 23 games. No matter what people will say that is a very strong stretch and a sample size of what the Mets could be. Below are some news, notes based on me, no sources or inside info, just my mind at work as a Met fan.
- For those who were very upset the Mets choose Lucas Duda over Ike Davis, lets look at Ike’s current numbers with Pittsburgh: He is currently on a 0-16 run and with Pittsburgh is hitting .190 with a .290 on base %. Add in 1 home run and 4 rbi on one swing of the bat. Not saying Lucas is the answer at 1st, but he sure is playing better right now.
- 4 outfielders will not work. Time to plug in Juan in Center, CY in Left and Curtis in Right. EY has done a great job so far, but as he did last year he is showing over the long run he can’t play everyday. Over the last 7 days he is hitting .190 with a .190 on base %. Plug EY in 2-3 times a week and go from there.
- With Juan coming off the DL tomorrow we need to figure out who goes. It looks like Kirk will be sent back to AAA. Kirk did a very good job with limited opportunity. Bobby A. will be a good pinch hitter, but Kirk has more versatility.
- Daniel Murphy continues to hit, hit and hit. Is it time to look at locking him in to a long term deal? He has a few moments at second where you think he is a below average fielder, but he also makes some very strong plays. A lefty hitter who hits .300, steals bases and drives in runs would be hard to replace.
- Wilmer Flores played first base last night in Vegas. I believe it was more to help with the finger injury, but wouldn’t it be nice to have him replace Satin and get Flores 4-5 games a week between first base and short stop. If he hits it will only increase his trade value. Satin is a good bench player, but with Abreu on the team I think we have our fill of good bench players who have no trade value.