The season has started off and the Mets problems have come full circle from the off season and yet the team is 10-9 which is very respectable with the Mets early schedule. Take away the first 3 games of the season and the Mets are 10-6 over their last 16 games. Lets take a look at the issues they still need to address:
- 1B – Like it or not Lucas Duda is now the starting first baseman for your Mets. This situation should have been handled well before 12 games into the season, but ultimately the goal was met by trading Ike and naming 1 starting first baseman. I think we all will say we hope Ike does well in Pittsburgh as he handled the last 3 months with a great deal of professionalism.
- SS – We are all high on the horse right now after Ruben made two great plays in the 2-0 win against the Cardinals. But lets look deeper into the SS position and show it is still a major gap in the offense. I have been calling for Wilmer Flores to be brought up, plugged into SS and see what he can do with the bat. After yesterday’s great defense saved what could have been big innings, I still say bring up Wilmer. His offense will out weigh his defense. The Mets can not have 2 dead outs at the bottom of line-up.
- Bullpen – The bullpen has been surprising good since that throwaway series to open the year. I think TC has handled the bullpen poorly at times, but then again he is missing a lot of talent. Valverde, Farnsworth and crew will only hold up so long before something needs to be done. The Mets have arms in the minors but do not feel the need to convert their extra starters to the pen. Lets hope Sandy is planning on using those 8 legit starting pitchers the Mets have to bring in some additional offense.
Where do the Mets go from here:
- First off Ike is gone. As we said we are all going to root for Ike in Pittsburgh, but lets not compare what Ike does to what Lucas will do. Ike needed a change and so did the Mets. He has a better line-up in Pittsburgh and a better park to hit in. We wish him well….
- The Mets have 8 starting pitchers ready for MLB play, is it time to move to the bullpen or trade for a SS/bullpen arms? It will be interesting to see what Sandy does here. Mets seem determined to have Montero never pitch in a Mets uniform. If Noah is on track for a June call-up, we will have DeGrom and Montero sitting in AAA and they for sure can help in pen or help trade for bullpen/SS.
- Lets watch the progression of Juan Lagares once he comes back. He has a great start to the season and many scouts are comparing him to Carlos Gomez. If that is the case and Juan can be a productive bat he could turn into a cornerstone of the Mets future along with the pitching staff they are building.
Overall I can’t point out enough the Mets are 10-9 with the issues above. If the Mets truly have no payroll issues then it is time to show it and make a move. The Ike move showed they are not afraid to make a tough decision and this team is sticking together. I just hope Sandy has a plan not for the future, but for the next few weeks to show fans the Mets are serious and that 10-9 is just the start. Time to address the issues that still linger from spring.
LETS GO METS!